Thursday, July 5, 2007

Showing Off "Our" Island


This morning the boys and I took my mom around the island a bit, showing her some of the sites we've been enjoying--and a few we hadn't seen yet. (Steve had to work this morning.)

We drove south to Captain Cook and visited Kealakekua Bay, where the Captain Cook monument is located. (It's the tiny white sliver in the picture above.) Of course, it's on the far side of the bay, best accessed by sea kakak, which we certainly were not doing with this group! Instead, we looked for dolphins and watched the kayakers put in and paddle away.

Here's a snippet of the conversation you would have overheard if you were nearby:
ME: No, we're not going to kayak today.
D: But I really want to.
ME: No, I'd have to do all the work, and I'm just not up to that.
D: I'd help.
ME: Yes, I know you would, for about 5 minutes. But, we're not going to do it today.
(Now, continue this same conversation loop until you've gone insane!)

Next, we drove to the Painted Church, a Catholic church on the island where the priest went a little crazy and painted scenes (like "Hell") all over the walls and ceiling. (OK, I might have adapted the story a bit. He actually did the paintings to help non-English speaking Hawaiians learn about the Bible.)

After lunch, we took Evelyn to Ho'okena Beach (one of our favorites--great for boogie boarding, not too far away, ample parking, close access). The salt and pepper sand was really hot, since it was late afternoon, but we had a great time.

We took Evelyn to Bubba Gump's for her belated birthday dinner. (Her birthday was June 17, right after we left.) Yummy food, but portions were just too big. I didn't even have room for dessert.

No sunset pic tonight, as we were sitting at Bubba Gump's and I forgot to get up for the sunset! There were some killer waves, though.

No comments: