Saturday, June 30, 2007

Snorkeling Fools


My kids love to snorkel.

I don't know why this should surprise me, as so far they have loved boogie boarding, swimming in the ocean, splashing in the waves, and basically the beach in general. (However, they are not fans of visiting rocky beach areas where you just watch the waves crash into the shore. "Boring," D says.)

As you might guess, we went snorkeling this morning. I've been hesitant to do this, since I still worry a bit about the boys drifting away, drowning, etc. (All part of being a mom, I think. Perhaps I need a t-shirt: "I'm a mom, therefore I worry.") I also worried about my own skills in the water, which is probably the bigger part of my neurosis.

So, as I said, my kids had a great time. Both of them float like it's nothing, propel themselves all over the bay to look at various fish, and handle the snorkel mask and tube with no problems. Steve took a couple of tries to get the hang of it, but he's doing pretty well too. And me? Well, let's just say I'm destined to view other people's pictures of all the pretty fish they saw on their snorkeling and diving trips.

It's not that I'm bad at snorkeling. It's more that I can't seem to get started. Putting my face in the water, quite simply, freaks me out. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I can't wear my glasses when I try snorkeling, so I feel really disoriented from the start (like, walking into the water from the shore). But, it's not all about me, so right now I am happy that my kids have found another thing that they love.

After snorkeling today, we had lunch again at Quinn's Almost-by-the-Sea, which serves the best ono and chips in the world. Then, we randomly stopped to watch some surfers take on some monster waves (and one woman with fake boobs frolicking in the surf) along Ali'i Drive.

The rest of this afternoon is being spent relaxing (read: Steve's taking a nap!) while we anticipate the arrival of the Turpens. (Their flight gets in late tonight.) Tomorrow we are planning to visit Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.

No comments: